Wednesday, September 11, 2013

She cried “all the windows have to be secure.”

She cried “all the windows have to be secure.”


There are many ways you can secure your home and the least expensive way is to secure all the doors and use 1 or 2 motion detectors as back-up. Then you can buy additional inexpensive window locks and install them on your windows. This will secure the average home 97% to 98%. If you want the windows added to the security system this will increase the security level to about 99% at quite an additional cost. No matter how much you spend you can not make your home 100% secure.

Everybody's security needs are different because of their past experiences.

I was with this young couple with a 4 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. They had been married for 11 years and lived in this house 9 years. There had been break-ins in the neighborhood and they decided to get an alarm system.

We designed the system to cover the doors, use a motion detector and he would get and install the window locks we discussed. We scheduled an install date and I was ready to leave. The wife gave me a hug and said she would feel so much better when she knew the widows were secure.

At this point I knew we had a problem. I stopped and explained to her that we were doing the doors and her husband was getting the window locks. She looked at me and her husband and cried “all the windows have to be secure.” Immediately he was concerned about the price but she insisted that the windows had to be done.

Standing there I took her hand and said “obviously you have a reason for feeling this way, would you mind sharing it with me.” Her eyes locked onto mine and she blurted “I was 12 years old, they broke in through my bedroom window I hid under the bed for hours and thought I was going to die!” After 11 years of marriage he had no idea this had happened to his wife.

We installed a full perimeter security system in their home. Two months later I got a letter from the husband thanking me for what we did. He said that now, for the first time since he's known his wife, she now sleeps soundly through the entire night.


I LOVE MY JOB.

No comments:

Post a Comment